Friday, September 2, 2016

Ella's Stitches

Last Thursday night, we had a little bit of an incident in our house. Ella and I were in the kitchen talking about dinner and I left the room to go ask Curt a question. Right as I was done talking to Curt I went to turn to go back to the kitchen when I heard a bang and Ella started screaming. I didn't see it happen, but I saw her laid out on the floor immediately after. She hit our laminate floor, full steam ahead, but didn't hit any wall or item on the floor...just the floor. She had run to catch up with me in her socks that she kept on after school and totally ate it. After picking herself up, she ran into the room to her dad and jumped into his arms. I was trying to figure out what happened and what she hurt but I was standing and Curt was sitting so Ella was below me. She moved her head and a big blood mark was on Curt's shirt. She was freaking out and considering how much and dark the blood was on his shirt, I knew it was pretty bad. I finally got a look at her face and realized she hurt her chin. I pulled her into the living room to inspect it and immediately knew she needed stitches. When I told Curt, Ella flipped out. Her cousin had stitches a couple of months ago, so she knew what they were and she's definitely my most anxiety ridden child, so the thought alone was very traumatizing to her. 
 We have a limited health insurance plan as to where we can go/who will take our small provider. We also currently have urgent care insurance, so initially we thought to go there. After Curt left, I decided to try and go ahead and figure out where we could go and use our insurance. Of course, it was the opposite direction as Curt was already traveling so it took a while for him to get to Cook Children's Urgent Care in Southlake. Once he got there, they got in very quickly. The doctor looked at Ella's wound and quickly assessed that the cut was a lot deeper and worse than we thought. The skin was of course cut open, but the muscle had been torn too. Therefore she needed internal stitches in addition to external stitches. She would need a wound care technician to stitch her up and the urgent care facility didn't have one. So, they were referred downtown to the full children's hospital. Back in the car they went. By this time, it was about 7:30. 

By the time they got downtown and parked, it was about 8:20. They got back to a room quickly since they had referral paperwork. They immediately put a numbing gel all in her wound. That was a huge relief for me as I was super super worried about her having to get a shot. That would not have gone over well at all. Plenty of people came in to talk to her and ask her what happened. She had the numbing gel on her for about an hour and then the wound care technician came and stitched her up. At the promise of a popsicle, she was a total champ. She laid back, tucked her hands under her, laid perfectly still and didn't fuss at all. Curt wasn't sure how many stitches she received inside, but she got seven on the outside. 

She was rewarded with her popsicle...her only dinner of the night.
They finally got to leave the hospital a little after 11, and by the time they found the car and got gas, Ella fell asleep before Curt could get her dinner. She was totally wiped out.  
I tried to get her up the next day for school, but she was totally out. She slept in till 9:00 and really just laid around the whole day. She was totally exhausted. She was pretty sore too, but not enough to complain or need any Tylenol. 

I ended up taking her stitches out on Tuesday night. It definitely was an ordeal. After the first two, I was regretting not taking her into the pediatrician. She had a hard time staying still. I had a hard time getting the stitches out because they were so scabbed over. But we got through it and now is looking so much better. She's very happy to not have to have a bandaid on anymore...especially at school. 

In the end our second ER visit turned out okay and not too traumatizing, which I am so grateful for. 

No comments: